International Finance Corporation (IFC) a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental and Social Development Specialist – Financial Intermediaries Africa Region
Job #: req23151
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Objectives/Purpose of Assignment
- We are looking for a dynamic, motivated, and detail-oriented professional with strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills to provide support to IFC’s team of environmental and social specialists who are responsible for IFC investments in financial intermediaries in Africa.
Scope of Work/Job Description
- The work to be undertaken is described below and will include:
- Undertake Environmental and Social (E&S) due diligence of IFC’s proposed investments in financial intermediaries:
- Gathering and analyzing available information to identify gaps against specific Performance Standards for assigned projects;
- Identification and proposition of appropriate mitigation measures for risks and impacts;
- Production of high-quality work products that clearly and logically frame risk mitigation; and
- Identification of opportunities for value-add in the project structure, including providing IFC clients with guidance in establishing E&S Management Systems to ensure compliance with IFC E&S requirements;
- Supervise environmental and social performance of financial intermediary clients;
- Contribute to the design and delivery of learning programs on sustainability and environmental risk management for IFC clients and investment staff, as well as working on the development of tools, checklists, and guidelines to improve efficiencies of project processing and enable improved client management of environmental and social issues;
- Assist IFC staff with business development to ensure the environmental issues are addressed early in the process.
- Assist with regional ESG Advisory tasks targeting financial intermediary clients.
- Must have a Master’s Degree or Graduate / Advanced Degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., Environmental, Social Sciences, Science, Engineering);
- Have a minimum of seven years of working experience, preferably in the assessment and management of environmental and/or social impacts for financial intermediaries;
- Good working knowledge of the IFC Performance Standards;
- Ability to analyze and synthesize diverse E&S related data and information;
- Work experience in one or more African countries and ability to travel extensively in the region;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and spoken; ability to communicate in French will be an advantage; and
- Ability to operate as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team.
- Required Language(s): English
- Preferred Language(s): French
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
Application Closing Date
28th June, 2023 at 11:59pm UTC
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.